Re: [DMCForum] Re: ebay car in AR. - some thoughts on the car

On 3/26/06, Matt Spittle <matthew.spittle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ah, I dunno about that Ryan.  I've had my car for nearly 3 years now
> and I still share in a lot of the excitement that others have when
> first seeing it.  I suppose a lot of the "magic" of the car has worn
> off though, mainly because I've had the thing disassembled so much.

Right, that's exactly what I'm saying. The magic has worn off. I mean,
opening the doors used to be the highlight of my day. Now it's just a
motion I go through without thinking. I only get excited about it when
people are watching intently, and even then, not nearly as much as I
used to.

> My biggest fear with the car is that it will become more and more of a
> museum piece and less of a driveable car.  Other classic cars of an
> older (but much less rare) vintage have the benefit of having
> reproduction body panels, interior pieces, and so forth.

Eh, I'm not worried. Everything can be fabricated. There are enough
body panels around for me to enjoy the car for decades to come. New
frames are available. Many interior pieces are relatively easy to
fabricate if it were to become necessary. Mechanicals are almost
entirely replaceable with off the shelf parts.

> That statement scares the hell out of me.  Here I was, confidently
> assuming that if someone dinged my door in a parking lot, I could
> count on a vendor to be able to fix it.  Now it appears that if that
> ding occurred on 80% of the surface of the door (which is flat), the
> cheapest repair will be $1000.  How does that make all of you feel
> about driving your car?  It makes me feel like the body may as well be
> made of thin glass.

Doesn't bother me a bit. I park away from other vehicles when at all
possible, and I think most people are more careful around exotics than
they otherwise would be. People seem to be constantly hitting my other
vehicles with their doors, but I've never had anything hit the
DeLorean that I know of.

You can also look at it this way: If you spent $2,000 a year fixing
things, that's still half the cost a typical car loan or lease would
run you. So if I have to spend a grand here and there, who cares? It's
significantly cheaper than driving anything newer. I mean, I could be
driving a beat up Kia for the same money. This is a cheap exotic.

-Ryan