From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Ryan Wright
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 4:30 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Relays & current draw

On 2/26/06, timnagin <timnagin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just curious, what is preventing you from running the connection(s)
directly
> to the battery itself?

I do, actually. All of my toys - alarm system, stereo equipment,
launchers, etc - run off dedicated fused connections straight back to
the battery. However, I want to prevent operation of launchers & trunk
release when the e-brake is not set, which means I have to tie into
that. The e-brake switch is simply a switch to ground - when the brake
is set, the wire is grounded.

So the easiest way to deal with this (that I know of) is to use that
ground to power the coil on a relay, which will apply (or remove)
power to the accessories in question. Quite simple, really, except for
the fact that the relay's coil is going to draw a small amount of
power any time the e-brake is set. Now, maybe my battery won't care
about a 160ma continuous draw over a period of months. Or maybe it
will kill it in a day. I don't know; that's what I'm trying to find
out.

> My understanding is Toby built in the feature of disabling the launchers
> when the car was running or moving.

I'll have to recheck the docs that came with them. I don't remember
seeing this as an option. If I had, I probably would have used it, and
could then tie the trunk release into that circuit. But I'm fairly
certain this wasn't included in the docs.

-Ryan