[DMCForum] Re: Chrome

Several thoughts here.  First, I've had my car "custom finished" by
Chris Nicholson from the UK.  Not polished to the point of chrome, but
hand finished with a considerably finer grain than the original finish.

Now, imperfections (dents or deep scratches) will become more obvious,
but the general care and finish of the car becomes easier.  With less
deep brush strokes, there is less area for dust and dirt to cling too.
Yes, I know we are talking very minute measurements here, but trust
me, it is true.  (I know Evil Dan has had the same finish applied to
his car and if he's lurking he might jump in here.)

Polishing the stainles to a chrome like finish is certainly possible.
But, the newer nano-technology paints make that unnecessary.  At SEMA
there were cars painted with the new chrome paint and you absolutely
could not tell that it wasn't real chrome.  What is even neater is
that there are now tinted clear coats (oxymoron?) which can be applied
over the chrome paint or, for that matter, the stainless of our cars.
The clear coat is a ceramic base and is considerably harder than
earlier clear coats.  Mercedes now uses it at the factory on their cars.

Just some ramblilng, but it does make one think there are all sorts of
new ways out there to make your DeLorean truly yours!

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS