[DMCForum] Re: ANOTHER EBAY SCAM: Warning if you are thinking of buying

[DMCForum] Re: ANOTHER EBAY SCAM: Warning if you are thinking of buying a car this way

Even when you actually get a car, it still can be a scam...

I bought my car on eBay, and I don't think I would do it again.
Although I tried to check it out much in the same way Ryan did, I
wasn't thorough enough.  I only paid $1500 down, and said I would give
the seller the rest only after I had a chance to drive the car.

Unfortunately, it was a howling rain storm that day, so after driving
around a parking lot a few times I had had enough and said it was
okay.

I had called Rob Grady, who had previously worked on my car, to ask
him if I should buy it for that price.  Sadly, I didn't get his
message to the contrary until AFTER the auction ended and I was
legally responsible for the rest of the $13,000.

My car needed about $8000 in repairs above and beyond what the seller
told me it needed.  I thought I just needed a new windshield and new
seats.  Oh, how wrong I was.  That was just the visible stuff that the
seller couldn't hide.

I don't know how dishonest the man I bought the car from was.  I
considered contacting eBay, because they do offer some lemon
protection.  However, upon reading the fine print, I found out my car
didn't qualify.  I really should have contacted the seller at that
point and demanded some of my money back.  I guess I am too nice.

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a sweet Delorean for
$21,000 ($13,000 + $8,000).  Probably even less.

But, now #1673 is my baby, and she needs all the love--and restoration-
-she can get.

Lauren

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx> wrote:

> You know, I technically bought my car on eBay. Considering the huge
> amount of scams, I'd almost consider myself lucky.
>
> Except I did my due research. I sent only $1,000 as a down; I sent it
> via Paypal; I flew down to inspect the car personally before handing
> over the final amount; and - most importantly - I talked to the guy
on
> the phone before doing anything.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS