RE: [DMCForum] OT New Laptop help!!

Good advice.  (note I use Pentium-M rather than 'Centrino', which the name
intel 'grants' a system containing a Pentium-M 715 and up processor and a
intel chipset + intel 802.11 transceiver)

Some numbers to give perspecive. (resonable estimates based on past
experience)
In terms of consumption; the Pentium-M processor will peak at about 27W,
the USB port normally has 150mA capability(I believe), LCD backlight
consumes 5-6W, chassis fan will take 2-4W, the dvd drive takes 15-18W
during linear read ops, and ~25W during encoding ops.  802.11 transceiver
will take about 5-10W.  Then theres all the small change items.

The real novel contribution that the Pentium-M makes (in my opinion) is
the economical coupling of the PIII core in a 90nm lithography process.
Obviously the architecture doesn't nearly take full advantage of the
density of the semiconductor, which makes it scalable in the future, but
also very thermally efficient.

My advice would be to wait for the Merom core in '06 (currently vendors
are selling Dothan cores) if at all possible.  It is going to be a large
leap forward in low-power performance and will be dual core.

-Nate
11501

90nm lithography

--