Re: [DMCForum] Grinding in reverse...

The bearings are pressed into the hubs. If you have a press, you can
replace them yourself. Probably standard bearings, but I'm sure the vendors
can also get them for you. Since I don't have a press, I got rebuilt hubs
from John Hervey. He bead blasts them and repaints the hubs and presses new
bearings in place. Check out Tamir's forum to see what they look like
installed:
http://tinyurl.com/cqexv

To replace:
1. Remove wheel (duh).
2. Disconnect and remove the brake caliper.
3. Using a 32mm or 1.25 inch 6 point socket, remove the large nut on the
spindle.
4. If you are lucky, the hub/rotor will pull right off. Otherwise, reattach
the wheel and use it for leverage to pull the assembly off.
5. If the bearings break apart and leaves the inner ring on the spindle,
use a pulley puller to remove.
6. Not sure on the bearing replacement part as I simply replaced the hubs.
7. If replacing the hubs, take the wheel and lay it flat with the outside
facing down. You can now drop the hub/rotor assembly into the wheel. This
will allow you to get good leverage to remove the four bolts holding the
rotor to the hub.

Once you get the bearings installed, just reverse the procedure. Not much
too it! Also a great time to replace or turn the rotors if necessary.

Chris
VIN 4099

At 01:01 PM 1/8/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Brakes look OK (I replaced 'em a little over a year ago and inspected
>them when I had the car up yesterday) but it could be bearings. I've
>never replaced bearings, where do I buy them & what's the procedure?
>
>If I wiggle the tire (I tried, didn't seem like there was any play,
>but which direction should I be wiggling it?), how do I tell whether
>the bearings are bad or not?
>
>I'm open to just replacing them regardless. Not that I'm one to throw
>money at a problem without diagnosing it, but when it's an original
>item on a 24 year old car if it's not shot by now it will be soon
>enough. Might as well just do it.
>
>-Ryan

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte