RE: [DMCForum] Copyright

Something always confuses me when you get on this topic Marc -- what did
they do wrong?

Did they have an insider at the Fed level who allowed them to do this
underhanded illegal thing of re-upping a trademark/copyright?  How did they
get away with registering a public domain name/logo etc?

All I see is Stephen found out by some means that the trademark was up and
he submitted the forms to re-register or re-up it so his company could use
it.  Does he then not have the legal ownership of said trademark?  I am
quite sure I can't go in and fill out some forms and register the Nutcracker
Suite as it is public domain now (Thanks Simpsons).  So obviously someone
still owned it or let it go and Stephen got it before it went into the
Public Domain area.

Where is the justice lost?  How is this unfair?  Where is the dishonest
practice?  How is this un-ethical?  They are not claiming to be the original
DMC, they even use DMCH for many of their promotional stuff.  If they were
trying to pas themselves off as the company that went under 15 years ago, I
might laugh at them for that, but as far as I see they are not (ok if they
were the might be breaking an ethical rule).

I fail to see the problems?  I know some people have wanted to use the logo
in products and now they have to get the permission of Stephen and pay a
royalty for it (if I remember right they wanted to charge Lee Seiler a buck
for his limited edition model kits).  His luck if you ask me.  Had I known
it was available I might have registered it myself just for the fun of it.
There is money to be made by owning it sure but he is in business.

Now if you have any specific times they have done unscrupulous things with
their trademark, please inform me as I would be interested, but as long as
they have had the ownership -- and it is legally "owned" by Stephen, I have
not seen anything done that seemed below board.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed
DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com Come hang out