Re: [DMCForum] Re: Cop stories

On 12/17/05, Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One last time - let me try this - but first, if I misunderstood you, I
> apologize.  Now, The ONLY power the police have in traffice situations
> (please let's toss out all those "but this happened to me" stories) is
> to issue a ticket to someone who has disobeyed a law.
>
> They do not determine the amount of the fine (that has been preset).
> And, they didn't write the rules that say that if you don't pay the
> fine you go to jail.  Again, the only POWER they have is to give you
> the ticket, which, you admit, is not so bad.

How can you say this is the "only" power they have? They can detain
you. They can issue a fine. They can handcuff you. They can place you
in the back of a cruiser and they can take you to jail and put you in
a cell.

That's a lot of power.

As for their not determining the amount of the fine, that's only about
half right. Police have wide discretionary abilities. They decide
whether or not to issue a ticket based on the circumstances. They
decide whether to write the ticket for 5 over or 15 over (assuming you
were doing 15 over).

> If you want to debate the folks with power, debate the politicians and
> the courts.

Yes, in an ideal world, people would get angry with the politicians
and the courts. But the police are the enforcers of the law, so right
or wrong, they receive the most flack. It's just like the cashier at
Wal-Mart who won't take something back. People become angry with her
even though she didn't make the rule. She's just the enforcer.

This is why we have the phrase, "Don't shoot the messenger." People
naturally tend to blame the messenger.

> I have never felt - - until recently (since 2001) - - that the police
> have too much power over my life. Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that
> kind of a comment as it applies to traffic infractions.

Come on, Dick. Stop twisting my words to suit your preconceived
notions of me. I don't believe the police have "too much power" and I
never said that. I said they have "power". If you were so surprised to
hear that comment, you should have read my message again to be sure.

Slowly, now, so everyone is clear: I have no problem with police. I
hold a high amount of respect for the men and women of law
enforcement, just as I hold a high amount of respect for our soldiers.
Anyone willing to put his life on the line to protect others should be
respected. Period.

--
- Ryan