Re: [DMCForum] De Lorean attention...

On 12/1/05, timnagin <timnagin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have to argue this point, though I can see some people thinking it is a
> status symbol.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying any of us bought our cars to have
a status symbol. Remember, I believe the vast majority of people do
NOT buy cars to impress others. I know why I bought mine, and the
opinions of strangers didn't enter into the equation. They don't mean
jack.

That said, the car has all the elements of a status symbol. It's rare.
It's exotic. It's stylish as hell. It was designed by a man who was
rich, brilliant, and fashionable - and he flaunted it. To your basic,
condescending jackass, DeLoreans scream "My driver has a tiny penis"
every bit as much as a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

Thankfully most people aren't condescending jackasses. But still,
whether we like it or not the car is a status symbol. Moreso than an
H2, in my opinion. I see half a dozen H2s every day. I see a couple
DeLoreans a year (not including DeLorean specific gatherings) and one
of them is mine!

> I changed my mind, obviously, but it still bothers me.  I guess it really
> doesn't matter now anyway since the car still sits in pieces.

What's the deal, Greg? What's wrong with your car? Put it together,
man. If I lived near you I'd come over and help.

--
- Ryan