Re: [DMCForum] Engine swaps / upgrades

On 11/18/05, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Let me start this off my saying YAHOO FUCKING SUCKS..
> I wrote a whole long response, then the new Yahoo
> spell checker deleted it.  Nice, eh?

Ugh. Yet another reason I'm glad I use GMail. Auto saves drafts, etc.
You should get a GMail account, at the very least sign it up to the
Forum for a bit and see how it threads messages. All responses to a
particular topic show up in a single "message", you open the "message"
and the thread is right there. It's very slick.

If you need an invite, let me know.

> Too big, for one.   All of the V8 swaps I have seen
> require that fiberglass be cut to make it fit.  One of
> the project parameters was to have little to no
> modification to any DMC parts.

Was that Northstar cut? The pics didn't show a whole lot, but it
looked like it fit pretty well to me.

I agree with you, though. I would not want to chop my body up to make
an engine fit. I'd like any swap to appear stock to someone who
doesn't know DeLoreans. If it's all hacked up to make it fit in there,
it will look like shit.

> > True. I suppose I could pull it off. It would
> > require a lot of
> > research, you're right. I'm not familiar with all of
> > the various
> > engines & transmissions available, so I can't just
> > pick out of my
> > head, "Oh, well, x might mate with y, and -
> > actually, it would be
> > better to use z because, ...". It would be a long
> > process. :)
>
> Why can't you?  That is how it is done..  Put together

I said I can't "just pick it out of my head". For example, Martin
seems to know quite a bit about many different engines. He's always
posting things like, "Well, that won't work because of x, but a XYZ
out of a Citreon would probably fit."

I don't have that knowledge. I'd have to first find a list of various
available engines with appropriate dimensions (where do you even start
to find such a thing?!). Then select a few that look right and do more
research on them, etc. Then do it again for transmissions.

> does your knowledge of all the components involved.  I
> have spent HUNDREDS of hours doing this in the past 5
> years....

I don't doubt it! That's not something I'm wanting to do.

> Or wait for someone else to do it, and copy them.

Yeah, that's more like it. ;-)

> The guys name was "Richard Cutter" outfit was
> "American Custom Engines".  He only built the one car,
> and offered to do it for anyone who brought him a
> DeLorean and $20,000!!  I believe he sold the car, and
> is no longer in business.

Ouch. I'm guessing he didn't have a single customer. Thanks for the
background info, this is the kind of research I don't mind doing
(digging up details on a specific combination that's been done
before).

> You can build a 400HP VQ35 pretty easy.  Plenty of
> aftermarket stuff for it.  Even forged pistons, and
> stroker kits!!  The supercharger claims to add 55%
> horse power, that is just about 400HP.
>
> The advantage of what I am doing is I will get the car
> to run on the stock VQ35.  And when the 260HP is no
> longer making me smile, I can slowly shop for
> aftermarket performance parts designed for the G35,
> 350Z, or Maxima and bolt them to my DeLorean!

This is not a bad idea. Actually it's a really good idea. I might have
to consider that, too. I bet there'd be more room under the hood for
something like that, and there are countless available aftermarket &
tuning parts. Bet the gas mileage is better, too.

Only problem, I'd have to tune the exhaust somehow. Don't want my
DeLorean blending into the import scene too much; certainly don't want
the "pimped out Honda" sound.

--
- Ryan

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10