Re: [DMCForum] Re: FanZilla VS "Fan Fix":

Re: [DMCForum] Re: FanZilla VS "Fan Fix":

Hi Ryan

The "Fan Fail" module is probably the second most famous failure behind
the lock module :-) It was the subject of a recall here

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-06-9.82.html

Notice the word "temporary" in the title!

The fan fail light should not come on under normal usage. I have a fan
fail module with the cap removed and could see instantly where the basic
problem lies. When I get my camera back, I'll do a little write-up for
the DMCnews tech page. Put very simply, the pins on the module go strait
into a PCB which is then meant to carry the current of both fans. The
main problem is the solder points where the pins meet the board. On the
one I have, they're both dry and I would attempt to resolder them but
for the fact that they are only about 2mm across at that point! I have
run heavy gauge wire round the pins themselves, soldered them on and
made sure the PCB carried little or no current, but what stops me
offering to officially rebuild the buggers is the lid is next to
impossible to remove without it breaking ito a hundred pieces! I also
wouldn't really trust the little hall effect setup they have given the
poor quality of the rest of the unit.

Martin

Ryan Wright wrote:

> I haven't touched my fan circuit since I bought the car. My "cooling
> fan fail" light goes on & off with the fans. I don't have a Zilla or a
> Fan Fix. I did install John's slim cooling fans so I'm drawing much
> less power.
>
> I also have a blue fan fail module installed. I'm not sure if it's
> been modified or has a jumper in there or what; how do I tell?
>
> Any advice on updating this would be great. If it's as simple as some
> relays and fuses I'd rather spend $20 on those and do it myself than
> $200 on a module. I don't need the sequenced startup features with my
> slim fans. Also, if it makes any difference, I would REALLY like to
> restore proper operation of the fan fail light. I don't want it on
> when the fans are on; I want it on if one of the fans has actually
> failed.
>
> While I'm dreaming, has anyone added any sort of alert to the
> temperature gauge? I'd really like a simple circuit that energized a
> relay if the temp gauge got past a certain threshold.
>
> --
> - Ryan

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte