Re: [DMCForum] Re: Turbos

From what you're saying, the turbo oil seal blowing is the cause, not
the effect of this problem on the VW TDi?

A well designed air intake will produce only a slight drop in pressure
prior to throttle(s), and your point about vacuum causing the turbo oil
seal to blow is not relevant to your argument because it doesn't happen
on a diesel any more than it happens on a proper petrol turbo car.

My Xantia actually employs a vacuum pump to allow the engine to use
standard control actuators/ valves etc because the engine simply does
not produce any usable drop in pressure.

EGR can cause problems, but shouldn't when properly employed. I guess
your diesel fuel isn't as refined as ours as I've never heard of this
problem over here.

Martin

therealdmcvegas wrote:

> VW's with TDI systems have a common problem with their intake
> manifolds clogging up. The turbos will blow their seals, seep oil out,
> and the diesel soot released from the EGR circuit will then stick to
> the oil, rather than just blow by. As more oil is leaked out, the soot
> deposits will wick the oil up, and allow another layer of soot to
> cling. And it'll do this until the intake becomes so clogged, that the
> vehicle no longer has any power to properly drive.
>
> Oil spraying out from the turbo is the number one cause of this. Also,
> yes, the type of fuel used would make a HUGE difference in the
> emissions of a vehicle. Gasoline doesn't produce as much soot as
> diesel. But diesel has a greater ability to burn cleaner. Now factor
> this in to an EGR circuit that has to feed this all back into the
> engine intake, and one gooped with oil at that...
>
> And yes, diesel engines do produce vacuum. ALL engines will produce
> vacuum to suck air into the combustion chambers. Even if you have a
> tubo-charger installed, there WILL be vacuum in the intake before the
> compression kicks in. No, with no throttle plates you will not get as
> high a surge of vacuum, or any at all when driving (depending upon the
> turbo set up). But on start-up, before the compressor properly spools
> up, you WILL get vacuum in the intake.
>
> -Robert

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte