From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Ryan Wright
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:24 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Torsion bar adjustment: Complete

First, big thanks to everyone who helped me out here. Both the driver
& passenger side torsion bars have been adjusted properly. The doors
now open with virtually no bounce at the end of travel. With any luck,
I should never have to touch them again; just replace the struts when
they start to droop.

Some notes from the procedure:

1. The threads on the right of the passenger side bracket were
stripped beyond repair. A "recoil" kit was used to fix this. Let me
tell you, these recoil kits aren't cheap, but it did one hell of a
job. Quite frankly, I believe the repair is stronger than the original
threads were. I was very hesitant to do this but when all was said and
done, it was a simple 5 minute procedure.

2. There's no need to make that wooden thing and mess with long
extensions, etc. A hex key, pipe, and removing the louvers takes care
of it. Huge thanks to those who pointed this out, you saved me a good
deal of time and money.

3. Removing & reinstalling the louvers is a simple task. Again,
literally a 5 minute procedure.

4. The tension on these torsion bars is really no big deal. We were
prepared for a lot of wrestling and pain - pulled the bolts and
thought, "That's it?" Carrying my 2 year old around a store is more
work than holding the tension on these bars. If it weren't for the
back and forth nature required to get the brackets off, I could do
this by myself.

5. The driver's side bracket finally came off. We bent a couple of
screwdrivers up in the process, but it came off. Lubed it up with
anti-sieze and the next 3 times we had to take it off (due to me
missing the proper notches twice in a row, doh!) it was much easier.

Again, I appreciate everyone's assistance.

--
- Ryan
http://www.memfrag.com - Memory Fragment Search & Storage