[DMCForum] Steering bush replacement and re-assembly

[DMCForum] Steering bush replacement and re-assembly

Hi,

As many I needed to replace the steering bush as it has completely
worn out. I replaced it with the  new durable upgrade but now
encountered a problem: It was a bit difficult to get the steering
column disconnected from it's coupling (24 years of rust!) but
finally it loosened up. I placed the bushing but while trying to
reconnect the steering column to the coupling it seems like my
steering column has shortened (??). I mean the column does not go
far enough down through the hole to connect the coupling to it. I
know the column can slide of course (I've loosened the 17mm bolts
behind the steering wheel) but even in it's maximum lower position
the steering column stem hardly reaches the hole.

Is there a procedure anywere or can you guys help me out? Did I miss
something? Can't move the car now as I have no steering! ;-)

I've traced some previous posts but most of them were about
disconnecting the lot, not re-assembling it...

Thanks in advance from far away in Belgium.

Frederik
VIN #02330

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS