[DMCForum] Re: JZD & Bricklin

Ok good, that's what I thought. I'm a big fan of the Bricklin SV-1
but from what I know right now about the company and Malcolm.
DeLorean would have desapeared from sight if he went with Bricklin.
What I mean is that everyone outside of most of the auto community
has no idea what a Bricklin is but everyone knows what a DeLorean.
Even Africans, there was a student from Africa that saw my model up
on the self and new what car it was, the Back to the Future car.

I'm still trying to learn as much as possible about the Bricklin
saga, just FYI I guess.

Josh

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@xxxx>
wrote:
> I have heard a couple times in the past that JZD was approached by
> Malcolm Bricklin to work on the SV-1, but he declined. I don't know
> how much time both spent communicating with one another, but I
really
> doubt GM had anything to do with JZD declining a job at Bricklin
Motors.

> 1. I doubt that JZD & MB could ever have gotten along. Other than
the
> generic comparison of both building a safety car with gullwing doors
> that was eventually orphaned, there is no comparison between the
two.
> JZD was a hands down a purebred Detroit engineer and executive, who
> was raised in the business. MB just wanted to build a car with his
> name on it, and admittedly didn't even know all that much about
> automobiles.
>
> 2. JZD & Bill Collins did not like the SV-1 design. Not so much the
> lines of the car, but generic cosmetic treatments and lack of
> uniqueness. Down @ the DMCH Open House event, something that both
Bill
> Collins and James Espey touched on was the ideal of making
everything
> that you could interact with on the vehicle either physicly, or
> visualy, unique to the car. But anything mechanical that was hidden,
> should be top quality, off the shelf parts that were readily
> available. With the SV-1 using generic catalogue pieces that were
> easily identifiable, and not even customer branded, Collins cited
the
> Bricklin car as being a major inspiration to DMC for what NOT to do
> with a car.
>
> Now, maybe telling Bricklin about his GM pension penalty was a
polite
> way for him to bow-out of talking with him. After all, Allstate
> Insurance did pay him a compensation check for the money that GM
> revoked, and was used to help finance the research and building of
the
> first prototype. Part of his severence package & contract for said
> package was a retirement pension that was revokable @ GM's will, as
> penalty if he began to work in the automotive industry again.
>
> That's about the only thing I could think of that even relates to
that
> theory about JZD & Bricklin. But Allstate had him covered, and JZD
> clearly didn't want to be apart of the project.
>
> -Robert
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Josh Porter" <joshp1986@xxxx>
wrote:
> > I read this today and never heard of it and wanted to ask you
guys.

> > Did JZD want to work for Bricklin but couldn't because of his
contract
> > with GM and when the contract was over Bricklin was gone so he
started
> > his own company?
> >
> > I think someone is pulling my leg but I want to make sure.
> >
> > Josh

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS