[DMCForum] Re: JZD & Bricklin

I have heard a couple times in the past that JZD was approached by
Malcolm Bricklin to work on the SV-1, but he declined. I don't know
how much time both spent communicating with one another, but I really
doubt GM had anything to do with JZD declining a job at Bricklin Motors.

1. I doubt that JZD & MB could ever have gotten along. Other than the
generic comparison of both building a safety car with gullwing doors
that was eventually orphaned, there is no comparison between the two.
JZD was a hands down a purebred Detroit engineer and executive, who
was raised in the business. MB just wanted to build a car with his
name on it, and admittedly didn't even know all that much about
automobiles.

2. JZD & Bill Collins did not like the SV-1 design. Not so much the
lines of the car, but generic cosmetic treatments and lack of
uniqueness. Down @ the DMCH Open House event, something that both Bill
Collins and James Espey touched on was the ideal of making everything
that you could interact with on the vehicle either physicly, or
visualy, unique to the car. But anything mechanical that was hidden,
should be top quality, off the shelf parts that were readily
available. With the SV-1 using generic catalogue pieces that were
easily identifiable, and not even customer branded, Collins cited the
Bricklin car as being a major inspiration to DMC for what NOT to do
with a car.

Now, maybe telling Bricklin about his GM pension penalty was a polite
way for him to bow-out of talking with him. After all, Allstate
Insurance did pay him a compensation check for the money that GM
revoked, and was used to help finance the research and building of the
first prototype. Part of his severence package & contract for said
package was a retirement pension that was revokable @ GM's will, as a
penalty if he began to work in the automotive industry again.

That's about the only thing I could think of that even relates to that
theory about JZD & Bricklin. But Allstate had him covered, and JZD
clearly didn't want to be apart of the project.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Josh Porter" <joshp1986@xxxx> wrote:
> I read this today and never heard of it and wanted to ask you guys.
>
> Did JZD want to work for Bricklin but couldn't because of his contract
> with GM and when the contract was over Bricklin was gone so he started
> his own company?
>
> I think someone is pulling my leg but I want to make sure.
>
> Josh

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS