Re: [DMCForum] Re: Speaking of hybrids...

On 8/18/05, cruznmd <racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is all really fascinating stuff.
>
> I wish I had a "donor" DeLorean that was in rough shape that I could
> start from scratch on. I don't have that kind of money or workspace
> though.
>
> The thought of our cars being permenantly relegated to the garage
> due to prohibitive fuel prices or a lack of fuel in the future makes
> me sad. The "car of the future" deserves better.

Rich: I feel the same way, which is part of the reason I started this
discussion.

A couple of years ago I got serious about replacing my Fiero. After
over a decade of Fiero ownership, I just felt it was time for a major
change. I gave serious consideration to a new VW with a TDI, a new
Prius, or a Honda Insight. Many Insight owners are claiming to
routinely get 80mpg in town. Basically, I wanted to get something I
could drive all over the place for a little bit of nothing in fuel
costs.

The opportunity to own my first and favorite "dream car" took hold,
however. As much as I wanted to do something different in terms of
fuel, I had a very tough time getting away from "flashy" sports cars,
not to mention giving up a dream that was now within easy reach. I've
driven nothing but "sexy" two seaters since I was old enough to drive
and just didn't feel right in anything else. Not to mention the fact
that I couldn't find a dealership within 10 hours willing to let me
test drive a new Prius: They didn't have them and would only order one
with a deposit and signed contract. And Insights are few and far
between; they just didn't make enough of them.

So, here I sit. If I had the time, space and knowledge for a real
conversion - something that would drastically improve performance and
double or triple gas mileage - I'd be all over it.

-Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS