[DMCForum] Top Gear...

>I may be a bit out of touch here, but this sounds like the R35 Nissan
>Skyline? It's the Skyline over here. Although the Skyline was never sold
>in the US (it's a motoring icon the rest of the world over) so perhaps
>someone else is getting away with using the name in the US?

You are correct indeed.  The Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G-35 are basically the
same car with minor differences between the two, and is what people re-badge
here as the Skyline.  As far as I know, the Skyline was never legal for sale
in the US so people just change the appearance to look like one.  This is
what I was saying about people in other countries with Skylines changing
their emblems to the Infiniti G-35.

>The general gripe is that to get that extra power, the american way is
>to fit a (much) bigger engine rather than trying to keep the weight down
>and actually develop existing engines to be capable of more. That and
>the fact that they won't corner worth a damn when pitted against
>Ferraris or Lambos - or an R34 Skyline GT-R for the sake of discussion
>:-) (and if we're talking bang-for-buck, get a Lotus Exige or wait for
>the new Esprit)

I think it has more to do with being cost-effective since the tooling
already exists.  In my example I was only referring to the Corvette being up
against the Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

One of the problems with some vehicles, like the Lotus since you mentioned
that one, is support.  The nearest Lotus dealer with support, which I know
of, is a three-hour one-way drive.  By comparison, I am just a few minutes
away from several Corvette dealers.  I do, however, have the Espirit and
Exige on my list of cars to own.  The latter I would like to have, even if I
can't find a way to shoe-horn my ass into the seat. ;) [Insert fat American
joke here :) ]

>I've just been watchng Top Gear and Clarkson reviewing the Ford F150 (?)
>truck, and establishing exactly they there's no market for it over here,
>or anywhere else for that matter. The result? Poor build quality,
>terrible handling and built using techniques that "would be recognised
>by 19th century tunnelling engineers" I believe was the exact phrase. OK
>it's faster thana Boxster in a strait line, but errm.... so what, when
>you can't stop?

I agree completely; that's why I didn't buy an American truck this time
around.  They were probably testing the Ford F-150 Lightning if they were
mentioning numbers like that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-150-Lightning-2004-Ford-Lightning-LOW-
MILES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6219QQitemZ4566060095QQrdZ1

Speaking of the show Top Gear, it seems to have starting running here
recently.  They have made a few changes for the American market but it is a
very interesting show.  I had never heard of that Swedish super car before.
I have wanted to ask you how this show is regarded over there?  One show I
saw recently was the $3k Porsche challenge.  That was very cool!

Greg

De lorean Delorean part Delorean cadillac

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS