Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ripped Off

Martin,

> I still prefer to live in a society where we don't experience the
> constant fear of "does he/she have a gun?" - that's it. And this whole
> discussion kicked off because I said as much.

:) It's just a difference of opinion, and perhaps culture. We (well,
I, and I think the vast majority of others in the US) don't experience
the constant fear you discussed. In fact, it's just the opposite: The
knowledge that any number of the people around me may be carrying a
gun and are probably trained in it's use to some extent gives me
comfort. Why, because most people are good people, and if some loonie
attacked me, I'm confident a good person would pull his firearm and
put an end to it before the nut could seriously harm me. It happens
all the time in America - guns being used to save good people from bad
people - you just don't hear about it in the national news.

Yes, I still worry about perps having guns. If someone is acting
strangely, or appears to be plotting a crime, there is the "does he
have a gun" worry. However, I'd have that exact same worry in your
society, because the people who would use a gun on me still have them
over there. See, the laws don't give me comfort, because the criminals
don't obey them. It's illegal for criminals to own guns here, but you
still worry about them having one. How would that be any different if
they were banned completely?

-Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS