Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ripped Off

I did say it was off the top of my head :-) I don't believe the crime
increase has anything to do with the banning of handguns (bare that in
mind - it's only handguns that have been banned, but other firearms are
strictly licenced)

We're experiencing some quite serious social problems which some people
attribute to the coming of age of the children of Thatcherite Britain.
This has resulted in city-centre CCTV, ASBO's, yob culture blah blah
blah. If we had guns, I think these yobs would be using them, personally.

26% sounds like  lot, but if the actual number was, say, 100, then
that's only 26 more robberies in a year. I don't see how having guns or
not would have any bearing n the figures. But I'm no expert and will bow
out of this discussion gracefully here. I really don't know enough about
it, and I may very well be wrong.

I still prefer to live in a society where we don't experience the
constant fear of "does he/she have a gun?" - that's it. And this whole
discussion kicked off because I said as much.

Martin

Ryan Wright wrote:

> "In addition, when Great Britain banned the sale and ownership of
> handguns in 1997, crime rates rose dramatically in the following year.
> As Doctor Timothy Wheeler point out, in 1998, BBC News reported that
> violence against a person rose by 16% and sexual offenses rose by
> 4.5%. The robbery rate skyrocketed by 26%; violent crimes increased
> 16% in a single year."
> http://www.essays.cc/free_essays/d5/arn249.shtml
>
> Did your population increase 26% in a single year?
>
> "According to economist John Lott of the American Enterprise
> Institute, the violent crime rate has risen 69 percent since 1996,
> with robbery rising 45 percent and murders rising 54 percent. This is
> even more alarming when you consider that, from 1993 to 1997, armed
> robberies had fallen by 50 percent."
> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3623/is_200502/ai_n9482722
>
> Did your population increase 69% since 1996?
>
> Even if you take population increases into account, violent crimes
> have risen dramatically everywhere handguns have been banned.

De lorean Delorean part Delorean cadillac

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS