Re: [DMCForum] Re: History of AEC Routemaster London Bus (DarrenCunningh

Re: [DMCForum] Re: History of AEC Routemaster London Bus (DarrenCunningham)

content22207 wrote:

> Not to be particular, but I spent a year at University in Stirling,
> Scotland. Several times I have visited my Uncle -- a retired COE
> minister living outside Barrow (in Furness). My charming ex-wife and I
> used to travel to Great Britain every 18 months on average. Altogether
> I have spent more than 12 months in your fine country since 1980, and
> have travelled all the way from Dartmoor (Devonshire) to the cliffs
> outside Wick, Scotland.

I tell you what, Bill. You've just dropped an absolute classic American
clanger in that last paragraph. The sort that's continually joked about
on British TV when taking the piss out of George Bush (or any given
American in the firing line at the time - Bush tends to cop it most
though and I feel safe using him as an example because I get the
impression most of you guys think he's a pratt too)

Do you know what particular booboo you made?

> And Routemasters have been identified to me by your own countrypeople
> as "London Buses". Not the much more prevalent Leyland units -- which
> lack the open platform and are simply called "double decker buses --
> but Routemasters in particular.

OK Routemasters are London buses. Your ambiguous statement in a previous
message implied all double deckers are london buses, which is bollocks
but was apparently not what you said and you're never ambiguous.

I don't think there are any other bus companies in the UK who run
double-deckers painted red

Not all London Buses are Routemasters.

I tend to use the tube and walk around London because walking is
generally quicker than using the roads, but the last time I did get on a
bus, it -was- a routemaster and the bus was not allowed to move until
the rear deck was clear.

And my point about pollution remains valid

Martin

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS