Re: [DMCForum] Re: DeLorean spotted on 95 South near Washington DC

On 7/10/05, content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Forgot to mention: it was dark as I pulled off I-95 in Fayetteville.
> Right before the exit I was blinded by a flash from the rear of the
> vehicle. First thought was "what the heck has Old Faithful done to
> me?". Then I was blinded by a flash from my side window -- tourists
> were photographing me with a mega camera (not digital).

First time someone took pictures of my car while driving, they were
using a camera phone. I had no idea what the hell was going on, other
than the passenger in the car next to me was holding a small device
out the window, concealed in the palm of her hand, and pointing it at
me while the driver sped up, slowed down, sped up, etc. Left me a bit
concerned until I figured out what was up.

Since then it's happened several more times. A car will drive by and
I'll see a phone pop out the window, snap a photo, and pop back in.
Never had anyone use a flash on me. I'm guessing as camera phones
include them more and more, it will happen eventually.

> I absolutely cringe when I pull off for gas or food and hear from the
> far side of the parking lot "Hey man, is that a DELOREAN?" Adds 15 or
> 20 minutes to the trip every time that happens ("No, it's made of
> plastic, not stainless steel". "Yes, the gas tank is in the front,
> just like a Doodlebug". "I know my quarter panel is dented -- I have
> another one lying on my guest room bed but haven't had a chance to
> bolt it on yet...").

LOL. I don't mind it. Thankfully nobody has bothered me when I was in
a real hurry, so I'm always able to take some time out and show the
car off. It's always the same questions, though.

I'll tell you what does get irritating is the constant BTTF jokes.
Everyone thinks they're _so_ original asking about the flux capacitor.
I don't want to be a jerk but I almost can't help it when these clowns
pose this question. I like to answer with a question of my own, "Do
you know you're the third person to ask me that today?" I haven't
quite made it to, "It's not f***ing real, deal with it, idiot", but
I'm slowly getting there.

Children are funny. A family with young kids was going crazy over the
car one day. Parents & kids all asking questions. The little girl
(somewhere between 6 and 8 years old) was just positive I was from the
future. Asking all sorts of questions about time travel. Her parents
and I had to keep telling her that part was only in the movie. She
just figured that DeLorean = Time Travel and couldn't separate that
they would use a real car in a pretend movie. It's like she knew the
whole thing was fake when she saw the movie, but then she sees a "time
machine" in real life and all of her little time travel fantasies are
suddenly true. Since the car was real, the rest of it must be, too. I
think we crused her poor little spirit. But man, you should have seen
her eyes light up at first.

-Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS