Re: [DMCForum] Re: Miracle Cures sought for ailing Volvo 760/B280f

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Miracle Cures sought for ailing Volvo 760/B280f

The snag with interchanging different PRVs is in the trigger for the
ECU. Renault, Volvo, Peugeot and Citroen (Eagles had Renault lumps) all
went their different ways and all mated the engines to different
transmissions - most of which were automatics (at least over here -
can't see it being much different stateside!) and as the flywheel is an
integral part of the transmission and also contains the trigger, you're
basically buggered unless you're swapping a like-for-like engine or can
rig up a trigger on the crank pulley. A lot of work, and plenty of scope
for getting it wrong unless you have all the manuals to hand. If,
however, you find your block has a crack in it, and it's a 3 litre lump,
you can find yourself a "new" block in another PRV of the same capacity.
You can interchange the bottom end and retain the top end with you
LH-jet setup - as long as you can verify the compression, cams and
valves are the same (so the ECU map is correct). Or you can swap the
block and liners off your "donor" engine - but do try and keep those
bastard liners seated when you pull the old pistons out otherwise you'll
generate 2 days of work just cleaning everything up to re-seat them.

Martin