Re: [DMCForum] Re: damnit to hell (my poor engine)

Re: [DMCForum] Re: damnit to hell (my poor engine)

See Below.
--- cartermartin <cartermartin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have some more questions:
>
> 1. How does one properly bleed the cooling system on
> one of these?

There is a bleed screw on the thermostat housing.
Crack it open and put a hose on it, let the fluid run
back in to the expansion tank (well, on a DMCH..  Dont
know if Volvo has an expansion tank or overflow
tank??)

> 2. Would a compression test reveal a faulty head
> gasket? I have good
> compression on all 6 cylinders (180-185psi, maybe
> too good?).

I dont know the compression of your version of the
PRV...  But a compressions test may or may not reveal
a head gasket problem.  Did you overheat the engine at
some point??  Overheating is the best method to kill a
PRV.

> 3. Would a head gasket that is bad or heading that
> way cause excess
> pressure in the cooling system?

If your "radiator cap" is working properly, no...  A
bad head gasket will usually show itself by "missing
coolant", that is you have to keep adding coolant but
see no leaks.

> The engine is running strong but I have had a couple
> high
> temp 'incidents'. And chocolate milkshake in the oil
> filler which was
> there before though.

Milkshake??  This is a BAD thing.  If you have coolant
in the oil, then you may have a blown head gasket.

If you build pressure quickly in the cooling system,
then you likely have a bad head gasket.

Did you test your radiator cap?