[DMCForum] Re: damnit to hell (my poor engine)

[DMCForum] Re: damnit to hell (my poor engine)

Puncturing the water jacket is one thing. But to have water in your
oil, there would need to be some sort of a compromise between the
water jacket, and the oil galley.

Pull your valve covers, and check the oil galley up above for any
coolant in, or around that area. Next, fill that side of the motor's
water jacket up with water, cap off the water ports on that side of
the engine, and apply compressed air back into that hole. Now examine,
and see if water sprays out anywhere in the cylinder head, and/or
drains out from the oil pan. Just for the hell of it, also try this on
the other side as well.

If water comes out, track down it's origin, and see where it's coming
from. You'll most likely be able to seal it, and fix the issue.

Gut feeling however, you don't have a problem with your engine. An
amount of water that small, it's most likely condensation.

As for that leaky bolt, don't worry. I drilled hole into the water
jacket on my cylinder head during the extration of a broken bolt, AND
bolt extractor (twice!). What did I do to seal it? New bolts &
washers, and I slathered the bolt with water safe RTV sealant. Not a
leak since.

It takes allot to kill these engines. And from the sound of it, you've
got a long way to go.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Matt Spittle" <mds328@xxxx> wrote:

> This is my first post to the DMCForum I believe, so we'll see how it
> goes.
>

> The other day I pulled my oil pan to find coolant in it, about 2
> tablespoons worth.  I figured it was a head gasket, and went about
> pulling the intake manifold and such to prepare to pull the heads
> off.  Well, I get the intake manifold off and notice the "valley" is
> flooded with coolant.  Hmmm...well...so I go prodding around a bit
> with the air compressor (and blower attached) and notice that if I
> shoot air into the intake manifold bolt hole adjacent to the #3
> cylinder, I can make coolant shoot out of where the Y-pipe is usually
> seated.  This leads me to believe that the previous owner must have
> drilled into the water jacket here.
>
> Didn't someone else do this awhile back?  Well anyway, could this
> cause coolant to somehow reach the oil pan, and any idea how to fix
> it?
>
> thanks,
>
> Matt

Get unlimited calls to