[DMCForum] Re: Another SUV comment.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand@xxxx>
wrote:
<SNIP>
> That's what that ESUVEE monster thing should be teaching.
>
> -Dave

The "Esuvee" campaign is honestly one of the best that I've seen in a
long time. Suppport it or not, it's the only one that is actually
trying to counter the reasons that people buy SUVs, rather than
attacking people who already own them.

SUVs are today's security blankets for people. They're rolling
nursuries with large cupholders for peoples beverages, spacious
interiors with ergonomic knobs for easy reach, climate control for
comfortable temperatures, wood trim panels for inviting warmth, and
leather seats for cozyness. This is a HUGE reason that people love
SUVs. And I am one. They're just so damn nice to drive. Most
importantly is that stereo system playing soothing tunes, the
suspension that removes almost every bump in the road, and insulation
padding that keeps the noise out. SUVs will drown out all the feel and
noises of the road. Those same noises that tell remind us that only a
few inches below us jaggged asphault is flying by us, ice cold winds
rip past the car, and high temperature exhaust gases rush by our feet.
A by-product of the explosion of highly flamable gasoline only a few
feet ahead of us, to violently shove pistons back and forth. Warm air
inside heated by scalding water passing thru a radiator only inches
from out hands. But SUVs, if not all modern cars in general, help us
to forget about whats going on around us in vehicles. We're all
driving around in little bubbles, oblivious to what's going on around
us, let alone the dangers involved in driving.

So the "Esuvee" campaign is a wonderful concept in psychology. In the
past, people have always attacked SUV owners personally, and tried to
instill guilt in them, by trying to equivalte their purchases akin to
being greedy. Which is why they've all been so unsuccesful. Just look
at what has been said here in the past, right here on this very list.
i.e. "What do you need that big of a vehicle for?"

With the "Esuvee", they are undermining the reasons that people buy
SUVs, rather than attack them. People believe SUVs are so safe,
because they percieve them to be rolling cages on wheels. In the
"Esuvee" commercials, they have placed the driver on the outside of
the beast, rather than on the inside, surrounded by protection. They
even go so far as to show an SUV in a rollover. But instead of the
driver being safe on the inside, they're on the outside where they are
believed to be crushed and killed. And on top of this, the SUV istelf,
represented by the nightmarish "Esuvee" creature. This helps to deter
people from buying SUVs, because they see a dangerous creature, and
associate that with a dangerous vehicle.

Like it or hate the message it's trying to get across, you've got to
admire it's approach.

And Dave, don't try to figure out people. Almost all out there are
complete fools who dare not take responsability for thier own actions,
let alone protection. The way I look at it, we can't save all these
people by trying to make them smarter. So let's just feed off of their
stupidity economicly. If they choose not to educate themselves, then
we shall make a damn good living off of their ignorance.

-Robert

click here