[DMCForum] Dangers of the road [was: Another SUV comment.]

[DMCForum] Dangers of the road [was: Another SUV comment.]

Nods to Robert.

One of the things that my driving instructor told me
was that you should always know how much your vehicle
weighs; one of the things I remember he told me one
morning was "Now, today we're going to hurl two and a
half tons of steel down a long concrete strip at 70
miles an hour. Are you ready?"

I agree with my friend Steve Stoeckel who mentioned
being "close to death" while driving. The faster you
go, the more true it is. Every now and again while on
long trips, I tend to want to "zone out," so if I find
myself getting too comfortable, I just think "Gosh, if
I turned the wheel 90 degrees right now I would be
dead almost instantly."

Speaking only for myself here: I don't -want- a
vehicle that allows me to forget I am driving. No DVD
player, no extra insulation, no cushy waterbed-esque
suspension. If I forget I am wielding a deadly weapon
then I am endangering not only myself but anyone
within range.

End of rant. Back to Mozart. *gag*

Farrar

=====
"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.