Re: [DMCForum] Re: Privacy on the internet.

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Privacy on the internet.

Yeah, I agree.  When it comes to personal residences, the tactic is
flawed.  But if, for instance, you wanted to locate a certain
server/data center based on their IP address(es) because your gay
hosting provider won't tell you where they colocate their servers, it
can be useful.  My IP resolves to BellSouth's CO in North Miami, but I
live 50 miles south in Homestead.  But you get the picture: even if this
did work flawlessly, it takes a little work and knowledge of the area to
get a phyiscal street address.  In certain situations it can be done,
but I don't have a problem with it, I think it's neat.

Regards,
Jon Heese

Marc Levy wrote:
> I have yet to see a database that will pinpoint a
> physical location to a IP address..  The web site Adam
> sent over said I was in Freehold, which is a few miles
> away.
>
> The only way I know how to do it, is with a court
> order from a judge telling the ISP where the device is
> on their network.  Even then, with shared access like
> a cable modem you will only be able to narrow it to a
> portion of the network, still wont know exactly what
> house.  (Of course, the ISP knows where to send my
> bill, but I can take my cable modem to any neighbors
> house and still be online... with the same IP
> address).
>
> --- Jon Heese <dmcforum@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>I don't personally see this as an invasion of
>>privacy, but I see it in
>>the same vein as most things a lot of people
>>consider such.  What it all
>>means is that every email (and web request, and
>>every connection you
>>make through TCP to the outside world) is signed
>>with an encoded version
>>of your house address (decodable via TerraServer or
>>whatever and a
>>physical exploration of the area).
>>
>>Regards,
>>Jon Heese