[DMCForum] Re: DMC Trans strength?

It should be able to stand up to around 500bhp and/or foot of torque. The inproved shaft
is one piece construction, and eliminates the "bottle-necks" that cause weak spots. The
other manufacturer that you're talking about is Derrick Bell, over @ Bell Perfomance.

http://www.bell-performance.co.uk/

Derrick sells these upgraded input shafts, but I myself am a bit concerned that the first
gear set has been replaced by straight-cut teeth. Otherwise, I think that if Toby's input
shaft is a direct replacement, I'd prefer his.

Limited Slip Differentials are not available for the UN-1 transaxle. However, Quaife does
sell an ATB, or an Automatic Torque Balancing differential for the UN-1. The cost is
somewere around $1,200 or so for it. Same results, but more effficient, I believe...

Now, if you like, there is yet another alternative. GTO engineering has partnered with one
Lotus shop here in the states, to farm out the work they do on the UN-1 Transaxle as well.
So for around $4K or so (they've since taken the price list off of their page), you can get re
rebuilt UN-1 with new internals, better bearings and synchros, the Quaife ATB, and finally
your choice of either a overdrive, or racing 6th gear. Yeah, you read that correct. You
could keep everything stock for mounting and shifting hardware, yet have a bullet-proof,
6-speed transaxle in your DeLorean.

Now, I've not heard anything from anyone about the quality of work from these guys in
Mass, who will work on the transaxle for you. http://www.michaelsmotorsports.com/
6speedconversion.htm However, I can tell you that GTO Engineering are the ones whom
are supplying the goods for this conversion. You can contact them here @ GTO
Engineering tel : +44 0118 940 1101. It would be interesting to see if they sell a kit that
we could simply build ourselves. Yes, I know that it would be a bitch to heat up, and cool
down all the gear sets, so that we could disassemble the internals. But I know that I'm up
for the challenge, as this is something that I've been planning as well.

Good luck with the turbo PRV, Dave. I've decided that ffor 30lbs less, and 2 more
cylinders, the Rover V-8 is the way that I'm going to go. Especially if I decide to turbo
charge (which I really do want!).

-Robert