[DMCForum] Re: a real car nut & why I'm selling

[DMCForum] Re: a real car nut & why I'm selling

You're completely right, Robert. The DeLorean itself didn't cause his
downfall, but his OBSESSION for the car sure did. When he lost his
job and started going into debt he didn't sell the car... instead he
kept buying stuff for it and doing stuff to it when selling the car
would have fixed all his financial problems. His daily driver was
repossesed, he's in debt to one of the DeLorean vendors, and he's
moments away from eviction... yet he just dropped $300 last week to
put in a performance exhaust on the DeLorean. His girlfriend claims
his obsession with the car drove her into the background, and from
what I've seen that is very likely. I mean I've never heard of anyone
doing a valve adjustment on a DeLorean, but he has literally adjusted
his valves and reset his timing at least 10 times each. It seems his
every waking moment is dedicated to that car. It's a phenomenon that
has to be experienced to fully grasp.

I guess seeing all of this happen made me realize how I don't want a
car to rule my life. Throughout high school and college I never went
on a spring break or studied abroad, and witheld all sorts of
opportunities that came my way because I was always either saving up
for a DeLorean, or saving up to do this or that to my DeLorean. I
just feel like I'm missing out on life because of a car, and that's
not alright with me. I've enjoyed ownership tremendously, and all of
the incredible people I've met in this wonderful community. And I
know I'll own a DeLorean again, but I just feel very strongly that I
need to focus on other things right now. -Louie

--- "therealdmcvegas" wrote:
Truth be told, that person's relationship was doomed anyways. The
DeLorean only became a scapegoat here. That's like blaming heavy
metal music for kids who attempt, and sometimes successfully commit
suicide. The music didn't do a dame thing. There was some serious
underlying problems there that needed to be addressed that were the
real source of problems.

Same thing with the car "financially ruining" him. That is some
straight up BS. I chose to make a basket case my car, and have had to
slowly repair it over the years, while I've also done my damnedest im
some cases just to keep it on the road. After all, it was my daily
driver for almost 4 years. And I've survived in the past on average
wages as I've moved up.

Don't blame the car on someone who isn't intelligent enough to
balance a checkbook, and/or prioritize their bills. If it wasn't the
DeLorean, something else, some other material object simply would
have come allong to fill that vacuum of stupidity you friend has
created.

Then again, maybe I'm just predjudiced. A week before my uncle died,
he warned me to never sell my car, just to prove my love to a woman.
While he loved his kids, and grandkids dearly, his marriage was a
regret to him. And it all started when he sold his brand new '67
Mustang fastback, just to prove to his then girlfriend/future wife
that he loved her more than an inanimate object. Me? I don't want a
woman who only puts up with my passion for cars. I want a woman who
has her own set of tools! :)

In the end, don't compare yourself to someone else, whom you have no
control over.

-Robert