VW Jetta (was Job for Flavia? ) WAS:Re: [DMCForum] Re: Tom's DMC12... fo

VW Jetta (was Job for Flavia? ) WAS:Re: [DMCForum] Re: Tom's DMC12... for sale!?

That's easy. When you see people pine over stuff in the movies, that's just product
placement. I agree though. I've no idea what's so cool about Jettas that makes people so
attracted to them. Their high-priced, and only come with a 24 month warranty. Short
warranties on vehicles always make me suspicious. Plus, if you've ever driven one, the
damn blue and red lights of the gagues can seriously be hard on your eyes. Otherwise,
the've always just been filler cars for the market to me. Besides, if you give enough
exposure to something, and convince the buying public that they are outsiders if they
don't agree that something seems "cool", or hip to own, you'll eventually convince them to
like products, that they otherwise would never have accepted on their own.

Bettles have a unique styling, and Golfs do serve a purpose as a hatchback alternative to
the Honda Civic. So I can understand the appeal of these cars. The Touareg is Germany's
answer to the Nissan Murano. A "Cute-Ute" for people that never intend to off-road,
except for lawns, and snowy roads. And as for the rest of VW's line up, all I can say is
*uninspirational*.

The problem with cars like the Jetta, is that they can have some seriously high insurance
rates. They are much more rare, than say Ford Explorers, so parts are harder to come by.
And wheras if I total the front of my car, I can just graft on a new underbody section, and
frame extension, and my vehicle will be sound again. With these cars, minor to moderate,
repairable impacts will total the car out, because of the costs involved with replacing all
the airbags, air curtains, etc. Since insurance companies have to write off cars like that so
often, the rates can go up higher on them.

And if anyone ever brags about German engineering when it comes to cars, I've got two
words: "Diesel Rabbit".

On the flip side, VW's do have enviable cupholders. You also made a comment about how
they are as common as the Dodge Neon. And what irony that turned out to be! Take a look
that the redesigned Jetta for 2006, and look at the 2005 Neon SXT. Who's copying who
here?

http://www.yenra.com/jetta/

http://www.mikeperry.com/gallery/data/2/1P5856neon.JPG

And remember, it could be worse. I don't know about where you're at, but Las Vegas is
plagued with rolling eye-sores known as the "Scion xB".

-Robert