[DMCForum] Re: Going keyless (push-button start) - Ryan...

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrei Cular <acular@xxxx> wrote:
> Why would you want to pull the ignition switch?  If you replace it with
> a multi position switch off/acc/on/start besides the mess of trying to
> make it fit and work you loose the ability to lock the steering
column.
> And don't tell me that your alarm will protect your car.  I have yet to
> find an after market system that disables a car so that I can't get it
> started in less than a min or two.

See - that's my point. If you're going to steal the car, you don't
need the key. I could also break into the car and get it started
rather quickly. Will the alarm system protect the car? Maybe, maybe
not. It will lock out the starter as it already does, but as you said
this is easily bypassed if you know what you're doing. The start
button won't make it any easier - you'd have to go through the same
steps to bypass the security system to start the car.

So the only thing I lose is the steering wheel lockout. I don't see
where this is a big deal. Cars are stolen all the time and the
steering wheel lockout didn't help, so what's the point? In fact,
that's all the key is used for right now: To unlock the steering
wheel. My keyfob starts the car, unlocks and launches the doors. At
that point I ought to just climb in and drive away and forget the key
alltogether.

-Ryan

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to