[DMCForum] Re: Apologizing All Over Ourselves (Toby)

[DMCForum] Re: Apologizing All Over Ourselves (Toby)

Hopefully the Forum will briefly look the other way...

Compared to the swirlies I've been getting on the List lately, even an
intentional barb would seem tame. No apology for tongues necessary as
long as they stay in your own cheek.

Somebody playing on Greg's ID just jumped all over my case on the List
AGAIN. For some reason I've developed this reputation as a mechanical
menace, despite the fact I regularly drive the same car I drove 23
years ago! Not many people can make that claim. And I do so under my
own care! No 3rd party mechanics involved. Who do you think installed
the new engine in the back of my DeLo? Somehow I manage to transport
myself in a fleet of vintage vehicles, the *NEWEST* of which is dated
1985 with 204,000 miles on the odometer. Gee whiz.

I replied to the "other Greg", but whomever is moderating this week
saw fit to delete it. Just as well -- the reply would probably have
pissed off somebody else, and my hole would just get that much deeper.

Chapstick, anyone?

Oh, Re: transmission coupler roll pin: Rob Grady claims this is a
common failure item. Discovered mine broken when I pulled the
transmission. No telling how long it had been like that (my coupler is
jambed on the input shaft, so the pair couldn't slide out of the tube.
Would bump into the crankshaft when installed anyway). Since I had the
bellhousing off to change my gear oil (easiest way to do that!), I
took the opportunity to replace the roll pin. Final solution was to
hold it over the hole with some mega long needle nose pliers and force
it through with an 18" screwdriver leveraged against the housing.

I am a little hurt that you let my barb against Flint MI pass without
comment...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tmpintnl@xxxx wrote:
>
> Bill - I am so sorry about sounding "sharp".  Actually, I was in a
> rather "tongue-in-cheek" mood today when I posted that.  My sincere
> apologies for sounding like I was poking you.  I know that it can be
> a bit tricky to install the roll pin with only the end of the main
> shaft sticking out of the seal.  Can you remember how you did it?
> The reason I changed the roll pin to a stronger version is because
> the local owner that started me down this track experienced a roll
> pin failure to go along with the failure of the splines in the
> coupler.  The fragments of the roll pin actually ruined the main
> shaft because it gouged the splines on it very badly.  In looking at
> the failed pin (without the benefit of a scanning electron
> microscope this time) it looked like the pin had already cracked
> before it gave up altogether.  Typical roll pins get pinched
> together upon installation, and they can yield along the "fold line"
> just opposite the seam, which can start the cracking process.  The
> spiral roll pin doesn't have a fold ... the whole thing kind of
> winds up into itself (if that makes any sense).  Better retention
> too.  Strong enough to stand up to Blue Oval power?  Hmmmm.  I can
> see that I'll have to figure out the stresses and such on the
> splines in the coupler, so that I can make an educated guess on what
> it would ultimately take in terms of torque.  I'll keep you posted.
>
> PS - I wasn't kidding about the stronger input shaft ... if there
> was enough demand for a dozen or so pieces, it would make sense.
> The main shaft would be a bit more $$$ due to the intricate
> machining of all of the gears and whatnot, but that is also within
> his capabilities.  I asked many high-quality machinists around the
> Seattle area, and they all pointed to this guy and said "He's your
> man".
>
> Toby Peterson
> www.delorean-parts.com
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Ouch -- those quotation marks are sharp...
> >
> > I meant no disrespect. I simply did not know what to call your
> coupler (actually I had forgotten it was just the coupler. For some
> reason I was envisioning the whole clutch interface, but now I
> remember). "Improved" or "strengthened" would have been better
> choices of words.  I had no idea you redid the roll pin too. Is it
> installable with the primary shaft in place? I had a terrible time
> replacing mine when the remainder of the transmission was already
> assembled. Was almost reduced to drilling an access hole & plug in
> the side.
> >
> > Your IMPROVED coupler has demonstrated the ability to withstand a
> > General Motors block, but is it strong enough to survive a Ford
> engine?
> >
> > Bill Robertson

click here