[DMCForum] Input shaft Couplers (apologies to Bill)

[DMCForum] Input shaft Couplers (apologies to Bill)

Bill - I am so sorry about sounding "sharp".  Actually, I was in a
rather "tongue-in-cheek" mood today when I posted that.  My sincere
apologies for sounding like I was poking you.  I know that it can be
a bit tricky to install the roll pin with only the end of the main
shaft sticking out of the seal.  Can you remember how you did it?
The reason I changed the roll pin to a stronger version is because
the local owner that started me down this track experienced a roll
pin failure to go along with the failure of the splines in the
coupler.  The fragments of the roll pin actually ruined the main
shaft because it gouged the splines on it very badly.  In looking at
the failed pin (without the benefit of a scanning electron
microscope this time) it looked like the pin had already cracked
before it gave up altogether.  Typical roll pins get pinched
together upon installation, and they can yield along the "fold line"
just opposite the seam, which can start the cracking process.  The
spiral roll pin doesn't have a fold ... the whole thing kind of
winds up into itself (if that makes any sense).  Better retention
too.  Strong enough to stand up to Blue Oval power?  Hmmmm.  I can
see that I'll have to figure out the stresses and such on the
splines in the coupler, so that I can make an educated guess on what
it would ultimately take in terms of torque.  I'll keep you posted.

PS - I wasn't kidding about the stronger input shaft ... if there
was enough demand for a dozen or so pieces, it would make sense.
The main shaft would be a bit more $$$ due to the intricate
machining of all of the gears and whatnot, but that is also within
his capabilities.  I asked many high-quality machinists around the
Seattle area, and they all pointed to this guy and said "He's your
man".

Toby Peterson
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:

> Ouch -- those quotation marks are sharp...
>
> I meant no disrespect. I simply did not know what to call your
coupler (actually I had forgotten it was just the coupler. For some
reason I was envisioning the whole clutch interface, but now I
remember). "Improved" or "strengthened" would have been better
choices of words.  I had no idea you redid the roll pin too. Is it
installable with the primary shaft in place? I had a terrible time
replacing mine when the remainder of the transmission was already
assembled. Was almost reduced to drilling an access hole & plug in
the side.

> Your IMPROVED coupler has demonstrated the ability to withstand a
> General Motors block, but is it strong enough to survive a Ford
engine?

> Bill Robertson

click here