[DMCForum] Re: Village Idiot Returns (Other Dave S)

[DMCForum] Re: Village Idiot Returns (Other Dave S)

Bill - I actually make a "miracle input shaft coupler" rather than
the shaft itself.  It includes a "miracle spiral roll pin" as well.
Seriously, as Martin (your good friend) has pointed out, the Lotus
Esprit folks use variants of this transmission with great success at
quite high horspower and torque numbers.  If you have ever brought a
Lotus Turbo Esprit up on 2 bar of boost merging onto a freeway, you
will appreciate how much torque those little motors can make.
Without doing any calculations, I would venture to say that
the "miracle input shaft coupler" could probably take 450+ lb-ft of
torque, if the operator of the loud pedal had a little bit of
finesse.  The limiting factor might be a couple of details on the
shafts themselves (areas where the cross-section is necked down just
a bit).  Your mileage may vary.

PS - The machinist that made the "miracle input shaft couplers" said
that he would be happy to make us a "miracle input shaft".

Toby Peterson
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Wonder if Toby's miracle input shaft could withstand 450 ft lbs of
> torque? Should I build it to 500+?

click here