[DMCForum] Re: bidding on eBay...

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Yeah Ryan, but what gripes me is when I'm bidding on a high
> ticket item (like a car) and someone with a zero rating on a
> new account starts running prices up probably just for
> entertainment.

That's OK. Just let the guy win, then. If it's not for entertainment
the item will be relisted, or you can do like I do and email the
seller saying, "Hey, if JohnDoeLoser doesn't pay, I'll honor my bid of
$x."

Sniping services have their bad points. I got my DeLorean this way. It
was listed on eBay and had 1 day remaining on a 5 day auction with
zero bids. I called the seller up and offered him $2,000 more than his
opening price. He was quite happy and took it right away. I sent the
deposit and he ended the auction.

Then half a dozen people called him over the next few days saying,
"Hey, what happened to your car? I was going to bid on it!" I got the
car for $3,000 - $5,000 less than I believe it would have sold for
because everybody was waiting until the last minute.

> The sniper bid services seem to convert
> progressive bidding into a sealed bid auction.  This is the
> way all the military surplus auctions work.  You write on a
> piece of paper what you are willing to pay.  Then the
> auctioneers look them all over, pick out the highest one and
> declare that the winner.  They never say what the next
> highest bid was.  It seems they could make a lot more money
> doing it the other way, but then the military isn't about
> making money.  It's about spending it.

And sniping services usually allow me to get the items for less money
as well. Sealed bids are good for buyers (bad for sellers).

-Ryan

click here