Re: [DMCForum] RUST ...Need suggestions (Josh?)

Re: [DMCForum] RUST ...Need suggestions (Josh?)

Michael,

Probably the only correct way to fix frame rust like that is
to take the body off the frame and then cut, weld, patch,
paint, etc.  I haven't dealt with this problem myself.  If
it is severe rust (like a hole) then this is like having a
tire blow out and asking how to put a patch on it to save
money.  But if you are dealing with a small or moderate
mount of rust and just want to arrest it before it gets
worse then I suggest chipping & scraping what you can and
painting the easy-to-reach areas.  For hidden areas I
suggest spraying them with grease or oil.  Another
alternative is to spray with black tar undercoat.  The
problem with undercoat is that it tends to only cover up
rust and trap moisture into it where the rust continues.
Oils & greases may dry out, but for a cheap & dirty fix,
this is the way to go.  Automatic transmission fluid is good
for penetrating rust, displacing moisture and not drying
out.  Spray it all in there and repeat as often as you feel
it is necessary.  Another alternative is to use white
lithium grease in a spray can.  Remember to shake the can
alot & often to get it to mix.  Otherwise the liquid
component comes out first leaving the thicker grease in the
can where it is wasted.

If you do any cutting & welding, heat will burn the old
epoxy and whatever new paint you apply.  Ash from the
welding will stop new paints from sticking.  It's a tough
issue to resolve.

Walt

click here