[DMCForum] Re: My view on Abortion.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Dore" <dmcjohn@xxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I did offer education, instilling a sense of responsibility,  and
> adoption as a solution.

Well, here, the same people that want to ban abortion don't want any
education unless it is abstinence.  If we could somehoe instill a
sense of responisbility in people that don't have it, all the worlds
problems would be solved.  I don't see this as a real possibility.

> I also pointed out that (in Ireland at least) there are not that
many
> kids waiting to be adopted, less kids waiting to be adopted than
> couples looking to adopt anyway it seems. What is it like in the
USA?

The problem here is that racial lines make adoption a problem.  Most
people wanting to adopt are white and most children up for adoption
are not.  Adoption agencies don't like to place children outside
their race.  It is also a very lengthy and expensive process.  I
have a co-worker who tried to adopt an American child and ended up
adopting 2 children from China.  It was easier, faster and less
expensive to go to China.

> Are not all laws "forcing beliefs on others"? Most people accept
that
> theft is wrong, so we create a law against theft which imposes
most
> people's beliefs on the minority criminal element.

Not true.  70% of all Americans support stem cell research but the
religious right (the minority) got it banned.  One problem we have
in this country is that the "majority" equals those who vote.  In
many cases, the people who vote only do so because of their
religious beliefs.  The complacent in this country don't get
involved in the political process.  A majority of the population
could agree with abortion but if they don't get out and vote the
minorty will dictate the law.

Also, your example is clearly something that everyone would agree
with.  Even the criminal would agree that theft shouldn't be legal.
I don't think too many criminals are stealing because they truly
feel it should be legal.  Without basic laws like this we would have
anarchy.  Legal abortion doesn't lead to anarchy.

> Obviously a law banning abortion will not be passed in the USA
> without a majority of people supporting it. If it is ever passed,
> would you still see it as someone's beliefs being imposed on
others?

If abortion is banned, it will be due to nine justices.  2 to 3 of
those Justices will be appointed in the next 4 years by Bush.  Those
justices beliefs don't need to be representative of societies
beliefs.

> I would tend to agree with you about religion - it can cause more
> problems than it ever solves.

agreed.

Good talking to you.

P.S.  I'm Irish (American born).  My grandfather came from Ireland.
Someday I would like to travel to Ireland.  To see the real Ireland
(not the touristy areas) where would you recommend?

> Best wishes,
> John

click here