[DMCForum] Re: Idle thermistor

Walt, the electrical system in this car is a disater. It's not only
poorly designed but unsafe to boot. You need to implement a cure, not
treat the symptoms. There are things that must be donw first before
you go upping alternator output. Aftre all, most modern cars have
heavy loads and they don't need 150 amp Alts. I'll admit the D has a
few more but the problem is wiring more than anything else. There is
a lot to know about alternators and their applications, it's not as
simple as people think.

All alternators have a "cut in" rpm, usually around 900. Some cheat
by putting an underdrive pulley on, I think Hervey does this. It also
depends on the regulator setting. It's not a bad thing to do but you
must be careful. The higher the alt rating is the bigger the rotor
and with an underdrive pulley you can't spin them too fast or they'll
come apart. Also, avoid the "one wire" self exciting alternators
commonly sold for marine or hot rod use.

John is a nice guy with good intentions and performs a valuable
service to the community but he lacks engineering skills and his
products have defects he's not even aware of. I can tell you about
much better alternators to use than what he offers but they won't be
a simple bolt on. (They won't be hard to install either though).
Lowering the draw on the fans is a good move no matter how you look
at it but the wiring still sucks on the car. You should also change
the headlight wiring as per Dan Stern.

I modified my car when I first got it to idle up when the fans or
headlights were on, it's not that hard to do at all using the
thermistor input. Email me for details. I'll also tell you what you
*must* do to prevent electrical fires. Until then you'd better carry
an extingusher (preferably Halon 1301) and be afraid, be very afraid.

Checkdix3 (lol)

click here