[DMCForum] DMCForum policy... was: [blank!]

Bob Brandy's said:
> Thank you for making this a free forum.  I really enjoy
talking to
DeLorean owners.

Cool.  That is the primary reason for starting this forum.
I saw the need for a place where DeLorean club-minded people
could discuss topics online the same way they could while in
person at a car show.

I tried to use the DML for this purpose, but the moderators
saw fit to severely limit topics  -- even topics that were
on topic for their criteria but for whatever reason they
grew tired of.  Many of us wanted to choose for ourselves
what we wanted to read or not read.  The DML moderators
wanted to make that choice for us.  And they wanted that to
be a clean, neat, safe, predictable, but not necessarily a
club-like atmosphere.

I tried to reason with the moderators to support the
creation of a second forum where they would forward all of
their rejected contributions.  But they would not cooperate.
Thus I started the DMCForum much to their chagrin.  The
mistake I made (if it were a mistake?) was trying to replace
the DML entirely.  And in retaliation the mistake they made
was trying to keep knowledge of the existence of the new
DMCForum away from their flock.  But as evidenced by
everyone's conduct at the last DeLorean Car Show, there are
no remaining grudges between the DMCForum & DML -- as far as
I care to recognize anyway.

In retrospect, this has been an entertaining experiment to
say the least.  For the most part it I think we all agree
that it has been a success.  I am disappointed that we
didn't get a noticeable increase in membership since making
our presence known at the last DeLorean Car Show.  (However
my going everywhere barefoot does not always make a good
impression on everyone.)  But then I am not sure what a
remarkable increase in membership would do to such an
unmoderated forum.  Ultimately we each have a delete button
and can decide for ourselves what to read.  Sure, we are not
the prettiest place to hold technical discussions.  Some of
the time we make the Jerry Springer show look boring.  I
suppose it is human nature that people will pick fights
regardless of the setting, and this forum is certainly such
a place.

I am disappointed most by people who complain about content.
Occasional bad content is to be expected from an unmoderated
forum.  If you cant deal with it then concentrate your
efforts within the confines of what the DML moderators will
allow on their forum.

The only time we have banned someone was Claude who
misrepresented his identity and tried to assume the identity
of others in some bizarre plot to make it appear he had the
support & approval of at least one other person besides
himself.  Since then Claude has publicly apologized, and I
forgive him.

What I propose for the future policy of the DMCForum is to
require contributors to use their real names or at a minimum
to establish only ONE unique alias that would not be easily
confused with anyone else.  Additionally I propose that
contributions will be limited to people who own DeLoreans or
who demonstrate a sincere interest in maintaining a
DeLorean.  Contributions will be expected to contain content
that people would normally discuss as though they were
attending a car show.  Our emphasis is about DeLoreans; tho,
not strictly limited to the topic of DeLoreans.

What we will not allow:
As is the case at car shows, so can it be the case in any
public discussion forum such as this; there may arise a
situation were an individual, DeLorean owner or not, will
initiate confrontations in a manner not conducive to public
decorum.  Such may be excused on occasion so long as said
offender balances his disruption with useful car-related
content.  If it becomes apparent that any contributor
establishes a reputation for not being well behaved while
not balancing said behavior with useful car-related content,
then we will ban his ass.

But the ultimate decisions are not up to me alone.  There is
a so-called board of moderators (this is Yahoo's
nomenclature, not mine!) of the DMCForum that need to agree
on such things, usually.

Okay, I'm fru!
(funny, I used to yell that as a toddler to my mother when I
was fru doing my business on the potty chair.)

Walt    Tampa, Floridiot

click here