[DMCForum] Re: The Constitution Is an Illusion Part II

[DMCForum] Re: The Constitution Is an Illusion Part II

>> Your responses to the concept of a living wage and national health care
>> are humorous. Unfortunately, none of the responses are based in
>> economic fact or public health research.

That's nice to know. Care to back that up? Maybe point out some specifics?

>> The United states has more than twice as many people per capita in jail
>> THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. !!

Most of them non-violent offenders. I already told you, I agree with
you on this point. Something needs to be done about this. For
starters, we can stop jailing people for using/possessing marijuana.

>> I studied this area while getting my Masters Degree in Public
Health. DO
>> you have one?

My apologies if I'm not impressed with your pedigree. Anyone with the
money can go through the motions for one. The fact that you come with
papers means nothing, nor does it lend any credit to your political
arguments. Since you mention pedigrees, however, I hold a Bachelor's
in Information Technology and am a research scientist in the field of
supercomputing. What does that mean? Not a damn thing.

>> Well, do you think these people would have committed their crimes IF
>> THEY WERE MAKING THAT MUCH PER HOUR?

Yes. Criminals come from all walks of life. Rich people commit murder
and use drugs and lie and cheat and steal, too.

>> DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THE EFFECT WOULD BE ON OUR ECONOMY IF THESE 1
>> MILLION PEOPLE HAD $35,000 A YEAR JOBS. IT WOULD BE THE BIGGEST BOOM IN
>> OUR ECONOMY IN 30 YEARS!!!

Many of the people who wind up in jail are too stupid to hold down a
job at McDonalds, let alone a $35k a year position. Case in point, the
moron who grew up down the street from me. He began his criminal
career as a teenager when he molested his cousin. He then moved on to
various other crimes - severe drug violations, racking up traffic
fines and not paying them, breaking and entering, theft, etc. He's in
and out of jail constantly. Give him a nice job and it would last all
of 2 hours before he'd get caught stealing something from the company,
or fired for making a lewd remark at a customer or coworker.

>> Are you aware that the United States spends 4 times as much per capita
>> on health

Right, due in large part to our litigious society. When doctors can do
their job without being worried about a multi-million dollar lawsuit
from the patient or his family, costs will plummet.

>> WE DO NOT LIVE ANY LONGER AND WE ARE NOT ANY HEALTHIER. IN FACT, WE
>> HAVE MORE HEART DISEASE, CANCER AND DIABETES.

Right - our health care system sucks. That's why people flock to
Canada from all over the world, because their national/public health
care system works so much better than our private system. I hope you
detect the heavy sarcasm here.

Look, Bob, you're all over the place in this discussion. You started
off with minimum wage and a national health care system. Now you're
talking about drug costs, how hospitals and pharmaceutical companies
work, children's diets, how terrible doctors are in this country, etc.
None of these problems would be solved by a national health care
system. All that does is guarantee free health care to everyone, while
introducing countless other problems into an already imperfect system.

I agree with you that there are problems with health in this country,
and if you want to work on fixing them, I'm all for that. Just be sure
you're actually fixing them. Each issue you bring up needs to be
tackled one at a time. There is no cure-all, and national health care
will only make the situation worse.

-Ryan

click here