[DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

[DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

Walt - Yes, our clutch kit comes with the alignment tool, as well as
the pilot bearing.  I suppose that it might be useful to write up
some better instructions for a clutch change.  I certainly had to
figure a few things out myself the first time that I did one.  The
spring retaining fork on the clutch fork worries me a bit.  If
tension is always on the fork, there shouldn't be a problem with it
slipping off of the pivot ball.  However, I can envision a snap
movement of the clutch linkage causing the fork to jump off of the
ball a bit.  I know that I have seen several clutch forks with the
spring retaining fork broken.  This must be one of those
famous "weak spots" in the design, although I'm sure that the clutch
fork was out of somebody elses parts bin.  Well, good luck on the
rest of the job - keep us posted on the progress so that we can all
feel your pain.

Toby Peterson

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Toby,
> Jim had already ordered the parts from John Hervey before
> you spoke up.  So you missed out.  Sorry. :/  BTW, do you
> include a clutch alignment tool like John Hervey does?  I
> dont think he left anything out except maybe some detailed
> instructions, but none of the major vendors supply
> instructions.  The manuals are quite vague.
>
> We spent about an hour trying to figure out the clutch fork.
> There is a little spring metal mini-fork that broke off the
> back.  We finally 'guessed' that it wasn't worth $200 for a
> new fork and an extra day of Jim renting a car.  So we put
> the little rubber hat thingy on the pivot ball do-hickey,
> and everything looks hunkeydorey.

click here