Re: [DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

Walter Coe wrote:

>Yeah, that is educational, but I had to remove the "*" to
>get the site to work.  How did those get in there?

I did a copy paste, and the site I pulled the link from must have had
something BOLD, and when FireFox sends plain txt messages BOLD is
replaced with **.

>>From the 1930ish Ford club that my dad was into, they would
>remove about 12 pounds from the flywheels, but they also had
>the crankshafts balanced.  Those engines were rather
>primitive.  I didn't know that a balanced crank was a
>prerequisite for a lightened flywheel.

Every engine I have rebuilt I have the crank balanced.  For the minimal
cost  if I can get an 150k miles rather than 145k its worth it...  And I
don't have to worry about the engine shaking its self to pieces if I
ocassionaly take it to redline.  If you really want a smooth engine you
need to balance the con rods, total and each end, as well as the pistons.

>With the PRV being odd fire & designed to be rather shaky, a
>lightened flywheel sounds like a bad idea.  Hey, maybe we
>should make them heavier still? ;-)

If you really want to smooth out the engine, the simplest thing is a
liquid filled harmonic damper.  Or you could design and build a balance
system.  Porsche 944's and 928's have balance shafts which have off
center weights and are timed to counter the vibrations developed by the
engine.  The system works really well, I ran my 944 with out the balance
shaft timing belt just to move it felt like an old V-twin.

Andrei

click here