Re: [DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

Re: [DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

Quick RPM changes is one of the two major reasons for running a
lightened flywheel.

The other is a slight HP increase due to less rotating mass.  However in
street applications is has been found that running a flywheel that is
less than 1/2 the stock weight does allow significant wear of the main
crank bearings.  Think of a spinning top or gyroscope, the larger the
rotating mass the harder it is to make it wobble.  The flywheel and
crank in the engine are the exact same.

A big problem with running a light flywheel is depending on the engine
you might have to bump the idle way up to keep it running.  On a street
ACVW I have run all the way down to an 8lb wheel, stock is about 22lb,
and it made the car less fun to drive in traffic.  A 12lb wheel made it
much better and still allowed the engine to spin up quicker than stock.

Gene Berg has a nice little writeup. www.gene*berg*.com/*flywheel*s.htm
Andrei