From: ryanpwright [mailto:yahoo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 2:21 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] How to safely lift the car onto 4 jack stands

Yesterday I had the car ~18" off the ground, sitting on four 2 ton jack
stands. Took the tranny out, no problem, but I realized that if I was going
to put it back in (with an appropriate transmission jack) I'd need a little
more room, and my jack stands were fully extended.

So I bought four new jack stands. 6 ton rated "Powerbuilt" from Schuck's
that can go up to ~24". I used my jack to lift the rear of the car another
~3-4" to begin putting the larger stands in place, at which time something
bad happened: The car began moving toward me. I can only guess the wheels of
the jack allowed it to roll and/or the front jack stands failed, because the
front of the car came crashing down.

Quick survey, no damage to the car, although the stands are toast. Thank God
I wasn't under there. Stands were Wal-Mart cheapies, I can't help but wonder
if that contributed to the problem.

Pull out the angle meter, survey says my garge floor is a 0.75 to 1 degree
slope in the direction the car moved. Damn.

Now what do I do? I have the car back up on four stands, about 15" at this
point, transmission sitting next to it. I am hesitant to try to get it any
higher. Should I go an inch or two at a time, alternating front and back? Is
this simply too dangerous? Jack stands say not to support a car on four of
them...

click here