[DMCForum] Re: cooling fan issue

Eric - The normal symptom of air trapped in the radiator is a high
temperature indication on the gauge because of poor coolant flow
through the radiator.  What was your gauge showing?  In answer to
your question, unless you have a DPNW bleed valve up front (K1017DP),
the procedure is to loosen the hose clamp on the small radiator bleed
hose that goes from the right hand coolant pipe up to the upper right
hand corner of the radiator, and then pull the hose off of the hose
barb for a moment.  After you get a facefull of coolant (yummy!), and
all air has fled from the radiator, fasten the hose back on and
tighten the clamp.  Refill the coolant bottle to the proper level,
and enjoy the car.  In your case, I would almost guess a
malfunctioning otterstat switch p/n 100816 (most probable) or a stuck
relay contact in the electrical circuits feeding the fans.  In
Winged1, my fans gradually started to come on more and more
frequently, and finally were on almost all the time.  The problem was
the otterstat.

Toby Peterson
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Itzel <eric@xxxx> wrote:
> Hey Everybody

> I took my car out for a spin last night- first time in a few weeks.
I had a funny occurance with my cooling fans- they wouldn't turn off.
I recently had my cooling system open while I was doing some work, so
> could this be a symptom of having air stuck in the top of the
radiator? I already have the water pump self-bleeder line working for
me, but I recently learned that air can be trapped at the other end
of the car and cause mischief. How do I bleed the air out of the
radiator?

click here