Re: [DMCForum] cooling fan issue

Not sure if you've already done this, but here's a cut-n-paste from the
dmcnews.com Tech section. It may or may not help.

--BQ--

For some years, the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club has used the below
described solution to the overheating problem. This system was designed
by Toby Peterson and Arnie Brandon, of PNDC.

The problem occurs when air is allowed to enter your cooling system
(when the system is worked on or the overflow bottle is allowed to get
empty) and the result is an air lock of the cooling circulation system.
This is why all production DeLoreans came with an air bleeder valve
located just above the water pump.

To overcome this problem permanently, merely remove the air bleeder
valve and insert a single hose barb. The hard part is finding one.
Threads are M10x1, barb size is 5/16 (8 mm). I made this up using a
Motormite #43502 3/16xM10.1.0 Brake Fitting (Trak), and a Weatherhead
#10004B-B03 1/4" hose-to-tube fitting (Midwest Hose Supply or NAPA). To
this hose barb, attach 44 inches of very good 5/16" heater-rated hose
(NAPA 5/16=8mm PN M082 82). Use a hose hanger to fasten the hose to the
rear of the engine compartment, so that it will not interfere with any
of the belts. Run the hose behind/over the overflow bottle and toward
the front of the bottle. Loosen the small return hose to the bottle and
insert a brass 5/16 T-fitting (Motormite 43071) and about 2" of the
5/16" heater hose. Connect the 44 inch hose to the T-fitting. Use small
(3/4") stainless hose clamps on all (4) connections.

This essentially eliminates the air-entrapment overheating problems
incurred in DeLoreans. The higher pressure at the top of the engine
provides a small flow of fluid (and any trapped air) towards the bottle.
Air bubbles go up into the overflow and are replaced by fluid from the
bottle. All you have to do is keep fluid in the bottle.

For $17.00 plus $4.00 for US destination shipping and handling, you can
get this complete kit (barb, hose, T-fitting, clamps, hanger and
hanger-screw) with full installations instructions to cover this 15
minute install.

Mail your check to:

Arnie Brandon, President
Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club
12839 SE 45th PL
Bellevue, WA. 98006-2031.

--EQ--

--Farrar

Eric Itzel wrote:
> Hey Everybody

> I took my car out for a spin last night- first time in a few weeks. I
> had a funny occurance with my cooling fans- they wouldn't turn off. I
> recently had my cooling system open while I was doing some work, so
> could this be a symptom of having air stuck in the top of the radiator?
> I already have the water pump self-bleeder line working for me, but I
> recently learned that air can be trapped at the other end of the car and
> cause mischief. How do I bleed the air out of the radiator?

> Thanks in advance!

click here