[DMCForum] Re: Only blows air on fan level 4? - To Walt

[DMCForum] Re: Only blows air on fan level 4? - To Walt

Hi Walt,
    Thanks soooo much for your post.  I pulled out my fan speed
resistor this morning, and pulling off the wire contacts was VERY
difficult, but I got it loose without breaking anything.  I have
uploaded 3 pictures into the "photos" section here.  My album is
titled "Derek - VIN 5302."  As you can see, there is a bit of rust,
but I don't think it's bad enough to cause connectivity problems.
Obviously, you'll see in picture 3 what the problem seems to be.  The
wire coil between connectors marked 1 and 2 has a break in it.  I
guess I'm going to order a new resistor (a pic of a new one looks so
nice and shiny), but is there any "quick fix" I can do to fix the
break to make it work over the next few days?  My dad thinks solder
won't take the heat that will go through it.  So does it make sense
to you that the coil between 1 and 2 is broken, but fan speed 3 also
doesn't work?

Just a side note here, maybe I can put a face to my name in your
mind.  We actually spoke briefly in person in Pigeon Forge.  Do you
remember a couple of guys asking you about the LED doors lights in
the early afternoon?  (maybe around 1:00 p.m.)  You were sitting in
the driver's seat of your car inside the building.  You explained
about the battery drain time of the incandescents vs LEDs.  Well, I
was the younger of those 2 guys, with dark hair.  Even though I knew
of you at the time, I didn't know it was you I was talking to,
otherwise I would have made an actual introduction.

Thanks so much for your help.
-Derek
VIN 5302

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Most likely it is the blower speed resistor.  Those tend to rust
apart or have the contacts burn.  It is mounted next to the blower
motor.  Here's a view from the top:
http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/01_ac_lower_box.jpg

> Pull the plug loose and check the contacts.  They may be burnt.  If
it doesn't come loose easily then it may break coming apart.

> Take the resistor out and check the other side.  Here is what mine
looked like:
> http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/02_ac_resistor.jpg
> and
> http://www.DMCForum.org/images/technical/03_ac_resistor.jpg
>
> These pics were taken two years before the same blower resistor
failed due to a contact rusting apart.

> For the record, those screws aren't supposed to be blue; they're
supposed to be black.  And that window screen POS on the evaporator
is a factory thing, but it doesn't do any good.

> Walt    Tampa, Florida

click here