[DMCForum] The latest information on ignition: (Martin?)

[DMCForum] The latest information on ignition: (Martin?)

I've tapped some DML'ers for advice as well, and I was reminded that
vacuum is -supposed- to drop off when you give hard pedal.

I publicly admit that my explanation of advance based on page M:01:01
was flawed:

I quoted the manual correctly but I was reminded that race cars often
run without vac advance at all, and that centrifugal advance is what
provides most of the power. The vac advance is for initial loads, and
low speeds which is backwards of what I stated earlier. I was advised
to disconnect the vac advance and note the results. Well what
happened was I didn't even have the initial smooth acceleration, or
the "1/3 good pedal" that I normally have.

-If- I am now correctly understanding the way all this works, it is a
workable theory that my centrifugal advance sticks, or fails and that
I am driving the car on vacuum advance only/mostly.

Consider:

If I don't eat up all the vacuum by keeping the pedal gentle, the vac
advance is able to advance the timing until I reach the desired
speed. As soon as I push down hard enough to use up all the vacuum,
there is no centrifugal advance to help me.

I will disconnect the vacuum and again, check centrifugal advance
with the light, and I will also observe Mike Cohee's car to see if
there is a difference between them. I have also, used different
sources of vacuum to operate the vac advance in the distributor. No
improvement.

Martin, you're great with distributors. Is this crazy? Am I just dumb
or what?

Rich A.

click here