[DMCForum] Re: AMC Continued

Even though the HUMVEE/Hummer phenomenon traces its lineage back to
AMC, can't count the number of articles I've read that attribute the
concept to *GENERAL MOTORS*.

Urp.

Subaru did not "invent the world's first 4 wheel drive sport utility
wagon" in 1996. AMC did it in 1980 (Jennifer's dad drove one in the
first BTTF movie).

Urp.

Former AMC designers (shut out by the French for several years) hit
Chrysler like a breath of fresh air. While their own people eek'd
(intentional pun) out the last bit of life from the K car platform ,
minivan excepted, former AMC employees formed the backbone of the new
LH platform.  Eagle and Concord(e) -- both former AMC trademarks --
went back to easier to mount and maintain longitudinal engines (albeit
with front wheel transaxles). Lead designer of the Neon was a member
of the Pacer design team (notice any similarities?) I also believe
Dakota/Durango design team was populated with veterans of the 1984
Cherokee re-design.

And of course never forget that Chrysler's much vaunted 4.0 inline 6
is not *BASED* on the venerable AMC inline 6 -- it *IS* the venerable
AMC inline 6 (comparison: pre-dates the PRV by 7 years, and is still
in production...).

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "andreic" <andreic@xxxx> wrote:
> Bill
>
> The current Hummer/H1, H2, H2sut and soon H3 are 100% GM manufactured by
> AMG for GM using GM components.  The HMMWV or Humvee is still the AMG
> designed and produced for govt use. A friend of my mother bought an H2
> and I can tell you it is pure GM crap, sorry GM owners I really
don't like
> the new way they are building things to cut cost.
>
> Direct from amgeneral.com
> " HUMMER® H1 & H2
>
> Due in part to the military HMMWV renown in Desert Storm, AM General
> introduced a civilian version of the vehicle called the HUMMER in 1992.
> Known as ?the world?s most serious 4x4,? the revolutionary vehicle has
> found favor with commercial users who appreciate the value of HUMMER?s
> long life and amazing performance, and individuals who seek the ultimate
> in toughness and mobility. In 1999, General Motors acquired the HUMMER
> brand worldwide and rebadged the current vehicle H1. In 2002, AM General
> began assembling the HUMMER H2 for GM in its new factory in Mishawaka,
> Ind. This vehicle was designed by and is marketed by General Motors. For
> specific HUMMER product information visit hummer.com. More AM
> General/HUMMER information."

click here